Friday, July 30, 2010

Billy Zenn: Seven Questions for Songwriters




SEVEN QUESTIONS FOR SONGWRITERS (Billy Zenn)
1. What makes you write?
I am troubled by bad dreams and find that writing, in whatever form---songs, prose, scripts or whatever---is somewhat cathartic. Alternative answer: I’m a compulsive liar.
Actually, I write because I’m kind of compelled to it, even though I have a love/hate relationship with the process. I hate doing it/I love it when it’s finished.
2. Who is the greatest unknown influence on your music?
When I was a kid, there was a man who lived briefly next door to us who played and sang in country bands. There were often guys around his house, drinking and picking and generally having a good time into the wee hours. I thought this was a pretty damned glamorous thing to be doing.
Growing up in the Methodist Church I sang in the choir, and learning to hear melody in relation to harmony has been integral to my songwriting.
3. What is your most closeted, secret, guilty and humiliating musical pleasure?
I like really aggressive punk music; stupid and out of tune a must. I’m a sucker for Stephen Sondheim, although that’s hardly something to feel either guilty or humiliated about. I still get a chill when I hear “Disco Inferno” for some unearthly reason.
4. What established artist made you want to write songs, and why?
Well, pretty much the majors: Lennon-McCartney, Dylan, Cash, Joni Mitchell, Marvin Gaye

5. Advice for just‐starting songwriters?
Stop thinking. Thought is the enemy of creativity, at least in the beginning. When you’re playing around and a melody or some lyrics find their way into your head, keep going. There’ll be plenty of time to obsessively edit when the first pass at it is done.
Always marry the lyrics to the melody.
Don’t send money to anyone who promises to critique your work for a fee. Ever.
6. Why country?
I live in Columbus, Ohio. Is this a trick question? We’re all immersed in country music around here from the time we’re old enough to notice. Personally, I dig that.

7. Favorite backwoods expression?
It’s colder than bat piss on a Sunday morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment