Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Cur Dogs: Hoppin' around...


SEVEN QUESTIONS FOR SONGWRITERS

What makes you write?
It becomes somewhat of an affliction for me; like waking up with a sore throat. You know your day won’t be right until you deal with this thought or idea you have. I joke with Tal about my single source of inspiration being my tractor; Seems like every time I set out to mow my mind turns to songwriting. I tend to write songs based on snapshots of emotions; little snippets of conversations or feelings that come to me in the shape of a song. Most times, the song comes to me in full: verse, chorus, bridge, melody and that is really convenient.

Who is the greatest unknown influence on your music?
My older brother Larry is a big influence on me as a songwriter. He has penned some great ones. On our 1st record we recorded 15 minutes of Fame which he wrote years ago. Also my wife and children are a constant source of songwriting inspiration. My wife Julie really supports my efforts.

What is your most closeted, secret, guilty and humiliating musical pleasure?
I love Elvis. All of it!

What established artist made you want to write songs, and why?
As a kid it was Joe Strummer and Mick Jones. Then I discovered Acuff/Rose, Graham Parsons, and of course Dylan. I also have to give a nod to Westerberg, McManus and Bob Mould.

Advice for just-starting songwriters?
Honestly, I am the last one to give advice. I could use some myself.

Why country?
Why not? It’s a perfect canvas for story-telling. It is also a genre that represents so many offshoots that you can always get pigeon-holed in the country genre, if nomenclature is your thing.

Favorite backwoods expression?
“I’m hoppin’ around like a one-legged man in an ass-kickin’ contest”

No comments:

Post a Comment